BUILDING, ZONING, LAND USE AND PLANNING
Application for Building Permit
PO Box 220 ~ Block Island, RI 02807
Tel: (401) 466-3216
Fax: (401) 466-3219
Minimum Housing Inspector:
Land Use Administrative Officer
The Building Official is responsible for:
- local enforcement of the RI State Building Code
- as Zoning Enforcement Officer, administration and enforcement of the Town's Zoning Ordinances
- local enforcement for Department of Environmental Management, Division of Groundwater and Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (OWTS, formerly ISDS) to ensure proper installation of OWTS
- local enforcement and inspection of the Town's environmental ordinances, such as the Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance and the removal of Underground Storage Tanks.
- local enforcement of the RI Building Contractors Registration Law.
The Land Use Administrative Officer is responsible for:
- administration of the Land Development and Subdivision regulations for the Planning Board and Zoning Regulations of the Town of New Shoreham.
- administrative support for the Planning Board, Zoning Board, Historic District, and Conservation Commission.
- working with outside agencies such as Statewide Planning and DEM , Town Officials and all applicants.
- serving as chair of the Technical Review Committee.
- meeting with applicants and assisting in the development of the applications.
- coordinating all proposed land development projects and subdivisions with applicable federal, state and local laws.
- coordinating the enforcement efforts of the zoning enforcement officer, the building official, planning department, town engineer, department of public works, and other local officials responsible for the enforcement or execution of elements of the local regulations.
RI State Building Code
~ What's New:
- Go to the Comprehensive Plan Notice of Public Hearing for the latest versions of Comprehensive Plan sections and maps!
- The Town's Zoning Ordinance, Land Development and Subdivision Regulations are available on our ClerkBase page.
- The Block Island Harbors Sea level Rise Adaptation Study Final Report and related Maps are now available for viewing and download on the Harbors Department page.
~ Download Forms and Documents Below (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader):
Some department forms, such as the Building Permit Application, are provided for reference only. This form is a multi-part form that must be completed at the Building Department. For forms applicable to properties in the Historic District, please refer to the Historic District Commission page under Boards, Commissions and Committees.
Application for Building Permit-Addendum
Form - Building Permit Owner Affidavit
Application for Land Development and Subdivision
Application for Mylar Review
Application for Variance or Special Use Permit
Application for Appeal
Hazard Mitigation Plan - 2016 Final Draft
Proposed Zoning Change - Section 704
Approved Amendment-Flood Overlay
5. The Great Salt Pond
12. Implementation Program
Cover, Acknowledgements, TOC, Definitions
Draft 2016 Comprehensive Plan for Public Hearing
New Shoreham Energy Plan
2. Historic & Cultural Resources
10. Natural Hazards & Climate Change
NS Comprehensive Plan 2016
Map HC1 Historic & Cultural Resources
3. Natural Resources
4. Recreation and Conservation Areas
7. Economic Development
11. Land Use
9. Services and Facilities
Map ED1 Agriculture
MAP GSP1 WATERSHED
Map NHC1 Flood Zones
Map NHC2 Hurricane Inundation
Map NHC3 SeaLevel Rise
Map NHC4 SLAMM
Map NR1 SurfaceWater & Aquifers
Map NR3 Protected Open Space
MapHC1 Historic & Cultural Sites
MapT1 Transportation Network
MapLU1_Existing Land Use
MapLU3_Future Land Use
Back to Departments & Services